Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sesame Crackers

I re-read Stephen King's The Stand a few weeks ago, and I noted that Mother Abigail says "I can still make my own cracker." as a sign of keeping her independance.

Then I see that an online friend has made some crackers. Is that possible?

Then I see a cooking show where they make crackers. That is possible.

I decide this is a sign that I am to make some crackers. Never done it before, but it is surprisingly rewarding. Completely organic and homemade. Some pics and then a recipe below.

Got the dry all ready.

Mixed, kneaded, cut, and ready to roll.

Baked to crispy, nutty goodness.

So without further delay, a Sesame Cracker Recipe:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rack in the middle.

Mix the following dry ingredients:
5 oz whole wheat flour
5 oz all purpose flour
1/2 cup sesame seeds (not toasted)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminium free! in crackers aluminium makes them bitter)

Add 3 Tbsp olive oil and mix in pretty well.

Add 6 1/2 oz water and mix well (by hand)

Turn dough out onto a flour covered work surface and knead until well mixed (5 or 6 times did it for me)

Cut the dough into chunks between golf ball and tennis ball sized. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.

Roll out thin and put on a cookie sheet, with parchment paper works well but isn't required. Several places I looked recommended 1/8 of an inch in thickness, but I found thinner (between an eighth and a sixteenth) was better and gave a more crisp cracker.

Cut into the size you want (in fact you don't have to cut them at all) and bake for 8 to 15 minutes depending on your oven. Pull them when they are golden brown.

Let them cool fully (maybe 15 minutes) and serve. I recommend some hummus and roasted red pepper.

Outstanding.

They will keep for a week or two. You can also substitute or mix with other small seeds, like poppy seeds, if you want.

3 comments:

  1. When I opened my computer today it was on this page. I hope you got my message but just in case. Love this cracker post, never thought of that before. The Stand is my favorite book, it changed my life and brought me into the light. Send your address to my email and I will send you seeds. Would love to trade heard that these melons are the best tasting in the world. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know this is one of those things that I have meant to try for ages but just never have. I'm gonna do it dang it! thanks for the motivation.
    P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you go Mike? Hope you and the family are doing alright. Peace

    ReplyDelete